Community Building History
The Community Building is a large two-story stone building with a full basement. The facility was built in 1936 with WPA funds and renovated in the 1960’s to add restrooms on the main floor and a kitchen facility.
During the early 1940’s the basement was used as a roller rink just prior to the famous Bishop Gunstock Company leasing the facility. The Bishop Gunstock Company occupied the basement of the building for some 50 years until 1993. For several years the City used the basement facility as an economic development industrial/manufacturing incubator to assist small businesses prior to them moving into larger facilities.
A full court gymnasium floor has seen many basketball games on the main floor of the building. The Lions Club has held annual week long tournaments for over 50 years. Many Warsaw high school alumni remember playing here before the school district had a facility.
The stage area has given many parents a proud moment as they saw their child either perform or receive certificates of honor.
The building is used now for various events such as weddings, receptions of all types, reunions, other family gatherings, auctions, dances, dinners, and year around recreation programs. In addition the Harbor Room (Lower Level) overlooks the beautiful Drake Harbor and is available to rent for smaller events.
The main floor of the building additionally houses the city offices for: Mayor, City Administration, City Clerk and Accounting Offices.
The lower level of the building houses the Police Department, City Utility Department (Water services, etc.) Municipal Court Services, Parks and Recreation Department, Council Chambers, as well as Payroll, the HR Director, ADA Coordinator, Civil Rights Coordinator and the Harbor Room.